R, mysql, Python, Perl, HTML, UNIX/Linux tools (shell scripting,
sed, awk), SAS products, C
English, French and Spanish
Senior Staff Statistical Programmer
Eikon Therapeutics - Home-based in Montreal, Quebec
Eikon seeks to use the Nobel Prize winning technology of its founder Eric Betzig to discover novel drugs. I'm still learning what my job here will entail. Stay tuned!
Principal Biostatistician -> Associate Director, Center for Statistics in Drug Development
GCE Solutions -> IQVIA - Home-based in Montreal, Quebec
Spent much of Oct 2020 to Oct 2021 writing the backend R code for the IQVIA software for adaptive trial design. My job was to choose the algorithm, code it in R, and work with a team from India to help build the GUI. We incorporated several Dose Escalation algorithms (3+3, i3+3, mTPI-2, and BOIN), one Recommended Phase 2 Dose algorithm (PRINTE), Anisimov's (2011) algorithm for predicting event counts in Time-To-Event trials, and wrapped the R package gsDesign.
Earlier tasks in this job:
- Contributed to the IP of a Fortune 500 consumer products / pharma company by translating much of a well-known R package for dose finding into SAS. These SAS MACROs rely heavily on SAS IML.
- Managed the statistics team of an ISS.
- Spent eight months as the STL (Statistics Team Lead) for two world-wide, Phase III oncology studies.
Senior Biostatistician 2
Chiltern International -> Covance - Home-based in Montreal, Quebec
- Wrote about eight SAPs.
- Served as liaison between programming teams and the client.
- Served on a DSMB and was a liaison for several others.
- Spent about five months working in Ph I oncology.
- Frequently used SAS to reprogram / QC the work of programming teams.
- Helped with the client billing both by drafting change orders and by discussing pricing.
- Used R to do the simulations behind a presentation on analyzing Tmax in the case of a cross-over design.
Business Intelligence Statistician
Seedbox Technologies, Inc - Montreal, Quebec
- I was instrumental in aiding this medium-sized IT firm in its transition from a company run on intuition to one run on data-driven decision making.
- Most of my energy went into performing R & D for the PCI group.
- In the general spirit of Seedbox, I helped out w/ other facets of our company when I could. For example, I was part of a team implementing Google's ftrl-proximal algorithm into their online auctioning.
- I used mainly Perl and/ or Python, MySQL, Unix/Linux utilities and R. And a very attentive, listening attitude.
Statistician (Senior Associate Scientist)
Pharsight Consulting Services - Montreal, Quebec
- Wrote the SAP and programmed all the main endpoints for our principal clients NDA.
- Did nearly all of the programming for the ISE.
- This drug was approved in Sept 2011.
- Wrote a suite of R programs for performing meta-analysis.
- Compiled all SAS data sets for a combined survival analysis of nine Phase III breast implant studies.
- Wrote the SAP and programmed all tables and listings in SAS for a Phase III ECG substudy and collaborated on the writing of the report.
- Worked intermittently for a year on statistical aspects of promoting TKV as a biomarker for PKD (grant writing, simulations, analyzing early data).
Oct 2007-Oct 2009
Theratechnologies - Montreal, Quebec
- I was one of only two statisticians who were directly employed by this company during their submission to the FDA of an NDA which was comprised of two large Phase III clinical trials and some older Phase II trials.
- Largely responsible for the ISE SAP.
- Either created or oversaw all statistical graphics used in this submission.
- Helped to manage CRO's.
Sept 2006-Oct 2007
Montreal Heart Institute - Montreal, Quebec
- In SNP-phenotype association studies, SAS PROC CASECONTROL offers an optimal test in the case of the mode of inheritance being additive and suboptimal tests for recessive and dominant traits.
- I wrote a suite of SAS MACROs which implements the MAX test followed by the max T algorithm which yield P-values corrected for the facts that a multitude of SNPs often
need to be tested, three modes of inheritance need to be investigated and SNPs are often
- I presented these MACROs at MCP 2007 (Vienna). They are publicly available on the "Downloads" tab at statgen.org.
- Worked actively both with SAS in a Windows environment and with R and
Perl in a Linux environment
Charles River Laboratories - Montreal, Quebec
- Was a member of a bilingual team of eight statisticians.
- Worked in a Windows environment using mainly SAS versions 8.1 and
Statistics Department and Biotechnology Laboratory,
University of British Columbia
Vancouver, British Columbia
- One of my biggest tasks in this job was designing and maintaining
the back end of a microarray analysis pipeline. This may be viewed
- As the sole statistician supporting several groups, I frequently
worked under pressure and with changing deadlines.
- Contributed to publications of several distinct teams.
Providence Health Care St. Paul's Hospital
Vancouver, British Columbia
- Helped develop new survival analysis model that handles negatively
correlated survival times.
- Managed a large database of hospital billing / release records
and developed appropriate models.
- Worked mostly in SAS (wrote many SAS macros).
Teaching Assistant / Research Assistant
University of British Columbia Statistics Department
- Taught Stat 241 and worked as teaching assistant in several
- Had paid research assistantships with a genetics laboratory
and with marketing department.
Compliance Solutions, Inc., Knoxville, TN
- Assisted in development of software for self-assessment of
fair lending practices on the part of financial institutions.
- Taught high school math in several different environments:
public schools in Zinder, Niger and Washington, D.C., and private
schools in Istanbul, Turkey and Madrid, Spain.
- Taught for 2 years in the French language.
- Was the head wrestling coach in a large inner-city school.
- Created a math team and was head coach at an international
Lincoln-Cross Inc., Nashville, TN
- Assisted in all aspects of business activities in small actuarial
Sept 1999-Sept 2001
M.Sc. Statistics - University of British Columbia
- Master's project "Survival Data Analysis of Patients
with Neurofibromatosis (NF2)" forms part of a paper published
in The American Journal of Human Genetics.
- Participated in Statistical Society of Canada student competitions
in Data Mining.
Sept 1998-Sept 1999
Student of statistics - University of Tennessee
Sept 1997-July 1998
Part time mathematics student - Universidad Complutense de Madrid
Jan 1983-May 1985
B.Sc. Math - Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN
June 2016 - Sept 2016
Big Data and Social Analytics - MIT (Online through GetSmarter)
Oct 2016 - Mar 2017
Fintech: Future Commerce - MIT (Online through GetSmarter)